Frequently Asked Questions
How do I purchase samples of your product?
- Samples may be purchased directly from our website. Under the “SAMPLES” tab on our home page. Clicking this link will take you directly to our sample pack purchase page. From here you may select the sample pack you would like to purchase.
Can I hang shelves/ objects from these Planks?
- You may drill through the planks and hang objects from the existing drywall backing using drywall anchors. Drill into existing studs whenever possible.
What is the best tool to use when cutting your products?
- We recommend using a miter saw with a fine tooth saw blade to cut our planks. A miter saw will ensure straight and even cuts. You may however, use something as simple as a hand saw and a miter box to cut our products.
Can I Use this as a backsplash in my kitchen or bathroom?
- These planks can work great for a kitchen or bathroom backsplash. However, extra steps must be taken to seal the planks from water. We recommend using sanded caulk to seal all the seams. Then, use a protective finish such as Minwax Polyurethane, or Minwax Polycrylic over the entire area. Reapply as directed by Minwax. Also, we recommend using some type of protective strip where the planks meet the counter because that is where most of the issues with potential water damage would occur. Even a simple waterproof trim piece would work great.
How do I finish outside corners? Do you offer corner pieces?
- To finish outside corners we recommend using trim pieces. We do not offer trim pieces at this time. Using a metal trim piece from the brand Schluter works great. They are made to be used with tile, but function very well with our planks. They make a nice clean finished look. You can usually get them at Home Depot or Lowes. However, any type of edge trim suited to your taste will work. Oftentimes we recommend using pre-primed trim pieces from Home Depot. I like using a small rectangular piece that is ~1"x0.5". Then painting to match or complement your planks.
- You may also finish outside corners by making miter cuts at the ends of the planks. Then fitting the planks accordingly.
Can I use this product behind my oven/ stove?
- At high temperatures the paint can start to fail (blister, and come off). That would probably be a direct temperature of ~150 degrees or higher. Also, since the product is made of wood I would check your stove's clearance recommendations about how far away it should be from flammable materials - if they do have any recommendations.
- On a practical note, you can test how hot your wall gets by turning on your stove, cooking some food both in the oven and on the stove top, then feel the wall where the planks would go with your hand. If the wall is cool to the touch, or just a bit warm, then you would be fine. If the wall is hot, then I would not recommend using the planks there.
How do I determine how much product to order?
- We have a product calculator conveniently located on each product page. Just input your dimensions accordingly and the amount of product that is needed will be calculated automatically. 10% extra is calculated into this estimate to account for waste.
Can I use this product in my bathroom?
- Our planks can be used in bathrooms if certain conditions are met. Keep in mind these planks are made of wood and are not waterproof. You can use them as a backsplash as long as there are no heavy or frequent splashes. We do recommend sealing them with a wood sealer such as MinWax Polyurethane, or MinWax Polycrylic to protect them as well. You should not use these planks inside or above a shower or tub. Also, if the bathroom has a lot of steam from a shower or tub it may cause issues with the adhesive sticking to the walls.
Can I use this product on a textured wall?
- The adhesive tape is very strong. It will stick to lightly textured surfaces. You could test some of the 3M command strips on your wall and see how they do. If the texture is too heavy I would recommend removing the texture by scraping/sanding, or you could do a skim coat of mud/plaster over the top to smooth it out, then paint it with a primer prior to installation.
- If you do not wish to remove the texture from your wall or it can not be removed we recommend purchasing the option without the adhesive backing and using a finish nailer and finishing nails or a construction adhesive as the method of installation.
What kind of nails do you recommend when using a finish nailer?
- We recommend using 18 gauge brad nails at a minimum length of 1 and ½ inches.
Can I use this product around my fireplace?
- Our planks work great around fireplaces. However, they are made of wood and are flammable. So for safety reasons I always recommend you verify with the manufacturer of your fireplace or wood stove to make sure you adhere to any specific distance requirements from flammable objects such as drywall or wood, etc.
Can these planks be removed?
- The adhesive tape is very strong. When removing planks from the wall it can peel some pieces of paint, or even small chunks of drywall paper off. However, this can be decreased by using a scraper or putty knife and scraping the adhesive as you gently, but firmly pull back on the planks. You can expect a small amount of repair work when planks are removed.
Can I return my product for a refund? How do I return my product?
- In most cases, for our shiplap kits, the answer is yes. However, that is subject to our refund policy. In depth details about our refund and return policy can be found at the bottom of our home page on our website in the sub menu titled, “refund policy”.
- Our textured slatwall is all made to order and there are no returns for those products. For this reason, please order a sample pack before you order full panels if you are at all wondering what they will look like in person. Click here to order textured slatwall sample packs.
My question was not answered here, what is the best way to contact you?
- If you have any questions that have not been answered here please contact me personally at email@example.com.